Shawshank Redemption: RJ's Review


Today I'm blogging about a wonderful movie I just saw with my husband last night, "Shawshank Redemption". It's been quite a while since I last blogged ( December 27 to be precise) because I'm too busy setting up our little video rental shop at home...
I'm not really much of a movie junkie but I do like watching movies every now and then. Though, unlike most people, I don't watch movies just to pass time.. I watch for entertainment and by that I mean I watch on schedule, as part of my activities for the day, kinda like a therapy. Anyway, since I'm into renting out movies, I decided I would watch at least 2 movies a week so I can post reviews for my movie club members. But of course, since I've spent hours at the pc making another website, I forgot all about the movie-watching promise I made..
In came my husband at about 12mn toting a bag of chips, some non-alcoholic sparkling beverages plus a "Shawshank Redemption" DVD he borrowed from an officemate. And sleepy and tired as I was, I didn't want to miss that chance of "bonding time" with my husband, so when he invited me to watch with him, I said "okay". But at the back of my mind, I thought "Shawshank Redemption? Must be some lame movie again.." I was wrong. If you haven't watched this movie yet, you're missing a lot ( I should know, took me 14 years). Brilliant performances from Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman under the lens of director/screenwriter Frank Darabont. This was released in 1994 based on the Stephen King novel "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption". It didn't do well in theaters but is considered one of the highest rented movies ever through word of mouth. It's somehow similar to the plot of "The Count of Monte Cristo". Both are great movies in their own right but "Shawshank Redemption" touches a part of your soul that is just too beautiful and inspiring. It warms your heart and makes you realize the good in others and the beauty of life and human relationships. It also shows you that regardless of how much suffering a person has endured, hope is never a far-fetched idea. It is in fact a reality just waiting to be pursued and discovered but only to those who stick it out to the end. As the movie teaches, "fear will make you prisoner, hope will set you free."

No comments: