Today is "Pangea Day"!


Today, May 10th, marks the first run of "Pangea Day". It is a global event whose mission is to unite the world through film and music. Cairo, Kigali, London, Los Angeles, Mumbai, and Rio de Janeiro will be joined together for a live program that will showcase films, live music and speakers. It is remarkable that this entire show will be broadcast in seven languages through the internet, television and mobile phones through the support of Nokia. A slew of select films, all 24, will be showcased in the event. These films have been chosen through a contest participated by over a hundred countries and generated over 2,500 entries! It will run for four amazing hours featuring performances from music artists and visionary speakers with no less than Queen Noor of Jordan, CNN's Christiane Amanpour, musician/activist Bob Geldof, and Iranian rock phenom Hypernova participating in the event.

Who's Idea is this?

From award-winning filmmaker Jehane Noujaim who won the TED prize in the annual TED Conference, came this idea, a wish that the world come together for a day through film. This was the realization of that wish.

Why the name?

"Pangea" is a term used to call the single, big continent the world used to be 250 million years ago. As you know, various environmental conditions resulted into its break-up to the continents we know today. So "Pangea Day" is anchored on that hope, that although now physically apart, we are still one world. We are essentially one continent, with the same aspirations, dreams and goals.

My Thoughts

The real essence of "Pangea Day" however, rests in the gradual change that it expects to generate from the event. Because long after the movie's over, the music's gone, and the speeches done, the fact remains that the world is in chaos. There are pressing issues around the globe. Local insurgency, terrorism, food and energy crisis, global warming and climate change, politics and atrocities being committed here and there. I pray that those who participate in this event whether directly or indirectly would effect change in their lives that would cause a chain reaction and inspire more and more people to do the same. As I write this, I am listening to an internet radio stream, the song goes:

" If I had one chance to
In my life again
I wouldn't make no changes
Now or way back when
And if everything turns out
The way I hope it goes
But I cant wait to find out
What it is that God knows
But I don't wanna think about
What's gonna come around for me
I'll just take it day by day
'Cause it's the only way
To be the best that I can be..."

I hope we all turn out to be the best that we can be. And I hope we take it a day at a time. Change will not happen overnight. But it always feels good to know that we're doing something about it, however little. Today is "Pangea Day". Happy "Pangea Day" everyone!

No comments: